Just realized that this is an important and reasonable question, so here’s a map!
By car, Lyon is about 1 1/2 hours from Geneva, about 4 1/2 hours from Paris, 6 hours from Barcelona, 3 1/2 hours from Turin, and about 4 hours from Freiburg. However, travel by high-speed trains and cheap airlines can make these trips even quicker (or so I’ve heard– I will let you know).
As far as what Lyon is like, I couldn’t tell you confidently yet, but here are some basic facts that I’ve found:
- Lyon is France’s third largest city, behind Paris and Marseille.
- Lyon’s metropolitan area is the second largest in France, after Île-de-France (Paris).
- Lyon’s population is 496,343 people, as of 2012.
- Lyon is known for its history, architecture, and cuisine.
- Lyon is a cultural center with Roman ruins, famous cathedrals, and a wealth of museums and parks.
So yeah, those are the basics about my residence to-be!